CPT Codes for Electromyography
EMG of extremities
- 95860 - One extremity
- 95861 - Two extremities
- 95863 - Three extremities
- 95864 - Four extremities
- with or without related paraspinal areas
- To bill these codes, extremity muscles innervated by three nerves (for example, radial, ulnar, median, tibial, peroneal, femoral, not sub-branches)
- or four spinal levels must be evaluated, with a minimum of five muscles studied per limb.
- Cannot bill paraspinals separately with these codes - unless studying paraspinals between T3-T11, in which case code 95869 is to be used.
Thoracic paraspinal muscles
- 95869 - Used when exclusively studying thoracic paraspinal muscles.
- One unit can be billed, despite the number of levels studied or whether unilateral or bilateral.
- This cannot be billed with CPT™ codes 95860, 95861, 95863, or 95864 if only T1 and/or T2 are studied when an upper extremity was also studied.
Cranial nerve muscle EMG
- 95867 - unilateral
- 95868 - bilateral
- 92265 - Needle oculoelectromyography, one or more extraocular muscles, one or both eyes